Thursday 18 October 2012

Life, and death

I just came home from a funeral of an aunt who lost the battle against breast cancer. This is an aunt who was so strong to have fought this battle twice, this is an aunt who stayed jovial despite her cancer, this is an aunt who fought her battle to her last breath and for this, I salute her. And I respect her family for fighting this battle together with her too. They have been taking time off work to care for her, encouraged her, tried all options to nurse her back to health.

Unfortunately, everything has an ending.

Sometimes, attending a funeral put things back in to perspective. It reminds us of what's really important in our lives. It makes us see the real kind of love within a family. It brings back memories, some long forgotten. It makes us put aside all differences and reunites us in times of gloom. It holds a family together.

And it helps me too. It helps me understand better, the effect of my work, as a life insurance advisor. It helps to push me further, to overcome challenges that come my way. If my aunt can be so strong in the face of a killer disease, so can we, as healthy and fit people, overcome obstacles and challenges in life. It reminds me, that we only live once, and that everything I do, I put my heart and soul into it, because I only live once. It reminds me too, to extend kindness to all, to be a good daughter, a good partner and a good friend to everyone, because we never know when.

Thanks aunt, for teaching me strength and perseverance. May you always be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment